Which of the following terms best describes the Symbolist movement?
Which of the following statements about the Pre-Raphaelites is true?
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- They were strongly influenced by Dark Romanticism.
- They wanted to imitate the style of Raphael and Michelangelo.
- They were interested in brilliant colors and a high level of detail.
- They had a high level of respect for the Royal Academy of Art.
Which of the following is a defining characteristic of Neoclassicism?
- An emphasis on the excess of the aristocracy
- An emphasis on observable information
- An emphasis on superstition
- An emphasis on religious belief
Which of the following paintings is NOT an example of Orientalism or an interest in the exotic?
Which of the following does NOT describe the Red House as an example of Arts and Crafts architecture in Britain?
- Partially based on the architectural style of an English cottage
- Used ordinary building materials, including tile and stone
- A symbol of science, technology and progress
- Influenced by William Morris’ philosophy of objects that are both beautiful and useful
Who was the inventor of the calotype, an early process for photography using paper and negatives?
- Louis Daguerre
- Oscar Rejlander
- Joseph Nicéphore Niépce
- William Henry Fox Talbot
Which of the following is the correct definition of “Favrile?”
- Art produced for the purpose of advertising a project
- Art made on a two-dimensional or flat surface
- An iridescent art glass used in lamps and stained glass windows
- A style of architecture and furniture design that emphasizes clean lines and natural materials
Why is this painting a good example of Dark Romanticism?
- It uses images of anthropomorphized evil.
- It is a naturalistic portrait.
- It shows a scene from classical mythology.
- It combines elements of reason and the exotic.
Which of the following aspects of Realism is present in this painting?
- Virtues, such as civic loyalty
- A scene from mythology
- Subject is a common person, not exalted figure
- The importance of the individual and emotion
What is the correct order of the four categories of painting, from most to least important, according to the academy?
- Genre painting, history painting, landscape, portraiture
- Portraiture, history painting, genre painting, landscape
- History painting, portraiture, genre painting, landscape
- Landscape, portraiture, history painting, genre painting
What work of art does NOT show an interest in the exotic?
- Ingres, La Grande Odalisque
- Delacroix, Death of Sardanapalus
- Géricault, Raft of the Medusa
- Gros, Napoleon at the Pesthouse at Jaffa
Which of the following statements about the Eiffel Tower is true?
- It symbolized a reaction against the Industrial Revolution.
- It was manufactured in a factory and assembled on site.
- When constructed, it was widely praised for its innovative design.
- It was thought to represent the ideals of democracy and liberalism.
Which of the following is the corresponding reason why this artist chose to paint “en plein air?”
- To depict scenes of leisure, which was new at the time
- To depict landscapes that inspire fear and awe
- To capture the fleeting experience of a moment in the city
- To capture the changing effects of light at different times of day
Which of the following characteristics applies to this specific work by Van Gogh?
- Subject depicts entertainment, landscape or other fleeting pleasures of life
- Image copied from an almost-identical Japanese source
- Incorporates stylistic influences from the art of Pacific Islanders
- Borrowed formal traits from Japanese prints, including flattening of forms and use of a diagonal axis
Which of the following works of art was NOT part of the Post-Impressionism movement?
Which of the following statements regarding this painting is true?
- It is a pastoral scene.
- It depicts a scene from history (e.g, a battle) or a scene from classical mythology.
- It depicts important virtues, including patriotism and heroism.
- It explores the theme of Manifest Destiny.
In 1897 British soldiers seized over 3,000 works of art from east Africa during a punitive raid.
Many of these objects are now housed in the British Museum and are referred to as the __________.
- Benin Bronzes
- Elgin Marbles
- Nkisi Nkondi
Which movement is this building associated with?
- Arts and Crafts
- Vienna Secession
- Gothic Revival
Which of the following statements about African art is FALSE?
- Most works of art are meant to be used instead of observed.
- Sculpture and abstraction are valued highly.
- Tradition is valued more highly than artistic originality.
- Art is created only by professional artists.
Which of the following is a characteristic of the Art Nouveau movement?
- Organic forms, such as flowers, vines and insects
- Interest in non-functional, ornamental objects
- Incorporation of Chinese decorative elements
- Mass-reproduced, identical objects
Which of the terms below refers to the transformation of Paris in this painting?
- The Industrial Revolution
Which of the following was NOT a cultural influence on the development of the Neoclassical style in architecture?
- The death of Louis XIV resulted in the return of the aristocracy to Paris from Versailles.
- Europeans felt a sense of nostalgia for ancient Greece and Rome.
- There was a reaction against the Baroque and Rococo styles, which were associated with absolute monarchy.
- Europeans sought formal simplicity after the dramatic and detailed styles of Baroque and Rococo.